If you follow Meaghan's blog you'll know who's cottage we were at.
Peter's Aunt Kathleen and Uncle John's cottage in Bancroft was our location Friday 20th to Sunday 22nd. The snow storm on Friday was a treat for driving, however, as Peter drove, I can't complain. The cottage in on a small, shallow lake which has no traffic in the summer but sounds like the 401 in winter with all the snowmobiles travelling across it. I know nothing about snowmobiling or the trail passes however John and Kathleen are avid winter explorers and have two sleds(?). To my uninformed brain, "sled" sounds like "toboggan", however, I've been told that's the term to use. The girls got fitted for helmets and were happy to have their first experience on a snowmobile. Meaghan seamed to like it better than Breanna, however that's not saying they both didn't have a blast. Meaghan was comfortable enough to even do a "look Dad, no hands!" move, as she held her arms out, not holding on to Johns coat. Dad wasn't impressed.
All in all, their "we'll go out for a few minutes" turned into 40minutes as they were having such a great time and the weather was only -3. Peter got to ride Kathleen's sled which was his first time. (No, Peter, you can not buy one. ) He can understand now why people are into snowmobiling as he was quite impressed by the sights, sounds and rush of the ride.
We went tobogganing after that which had the kids rapt attention. What's more fun that going downhill tubing! Kathleen and John had a few different styles of "sleds" but I must say that the tubes are still the best. It's harder to get hurt on them and they are more predictable. Spoken like a true coward. Meaghan liked the Ski-Doo. I'd like to give it a nickname like "killer" or "destruct-o-matic" or "pain inducer" as it was the most unpredictable, fast moving, backwards turning, snow spraying, help-get-me-off-of-this-thing ride since the crazy carpet. I'm a wimp, and I know it. The score (because everything is competitive... ugh.) I went furthest in the "One person tube". Breanna and Peter went furthest in the "two person tube" Meaghan went furthest on the Ski-doo both forward and backwards although Kathleen gets an honourable mentions for backwards as she did take half the hill with her on her way down and still stood up smiling.
The rest of the time we were in the cottage which was a balmy 80 degrees. I was thrilled. Everyone else wanted to open the door. Bathing suit weather anyone? The wood stove was fantastic. The girls really like helping in the kitchen. Kathleen and John were quick to put them to work and delighted with their entertainment.
The weekend was a lot of fun and we hope to be able to do it again next year.
Surprises never end, eh? Me, a winter person.
I'll admit I was skeptical...
Amy
When did Nutmeg get at blog space, and what is it? As for the ultimate champion on the slopes, that would be the 20 tonne wood toboggan Dad made with us for Pine Point. It had runners with slick plastic heels and I, being the heavyweight of the family, compounded with Dad at the reigns - neither of us under any control of the damned runaway thing made it over dead man's point (a kid actually died on this ice patch) then beyond, past the second set of goal posts and almost into the Humber river. Pete will remember. Glad you all had such a blast! xo to you and all the household pests.
ReplyDelete